.- Cochayuyo, gigartina, red marine algae, red seaweeds.
Cientific Name.- Chondracanthus chamissoi.
The popular knowledge and traditional use in Peru and Chile ascribe several
properties and applications to 'cochayuyo' and other marine algae (some of
which have been scientifically confirmed):
- Justified use in human diet because they contain vitamins, minerals, and
other elements rare in common daily foods.
- High percentage of minerals salts, such as iodine, sodium, potassium,
calcium, magnesium, and iron. Highly esteemed since ancient times as an
- High content of vitamin C.
- Dietetic food due to the presence of a group of carbohydrates called
carrageenans, which provide no caloric value.
- Due to its carrageenans, they are also used in the treatment of peptic
ulcers, digestive tract irritation, and in cases of diarrhea and dysentery.
- Anti-inflammatory effects. Utilized for coughs, chest disorders, chronic
bronchitis or emphysema, and goiter.
- They can also depress blood pressure in human atherosclerosis.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any
disease.Consult your healthcare practitioner prior to use when pregnant,
breastfeeding or on medication.